Thursday 4 July 2019

home again


After a short visit to our daughter’s we set off for the long drive home in bad weather as a storm was moving in from the west.
“We can probably beat the worst of the weather if we leave now,” Van-Man said at 10.30. He got the van through the fiddly roads for the first ten minutes and I took over at Victoria hoping that the wind would not get too blustery. The rain was not too heavy so did not slow us up. I overtook a lorry at Bodmin and then got stuck in the outside lane which was being coned off for road works. I could not get back over as nobody would let me in so I drove in that lane until it closed leaving the lorry on the inside lane far behind. It was much quicker so thanks people for not letting me regain the inside lane.
Nearly home
I handed over the driving in a lay-by just before Exeter and Van-Man took us to Cartgate picnic centre for lunch where there is suitable parking for the larger vehicle. Fortunately the rain stopped while we were there so Lottie could have a leisurely stroll around.
As this was a short drive to Cartgate Van-Man carried on after lunch. Going past Stonehenge was slow but it is always lovely to see it. We swapped drivers while stationary in the queue, an advantage of being able to move around inside the van. Lottie was disappointed not to visit Woodhenge but it was raining again around there.
I drove to the M3 interchange with the M25 where the traffic halted again so we swapped over drivers. Due to the extra traffic problems it was 18.00 before we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment