Friday 25 July 2014

Curious Cat



Harecastle tunnel south portal
In the morning everything glistened due to rain in the night but the clouds were not leaking. This was strange as the barometer was stuck on rain. We left Westport lake wondering how long it would be before we got wet again.
A boat appeared as we approached Harecastle tunnel. This could mean we had missed the passage through and would have to wait at least 1 ½ hours to go through but a boat was just entering the tunnel as we pulled up. There were detailed safety instructions as a hire boater had died in a tragic accident last week. After a safe passage we emerged into brilliant sunshine quite different from the other side of the hill where dark clouds hung.
After passing under the Macclesfield canal the Captain pulled over after 3 locks thinking it was time to moor then realised it was only 10.30. He was passed by a boat coming down behind us. The lady working the lock apologised but I used the parallel lock and the two boats descended together.
rural delight
We locked down a further three locks Lottie loved the rural aspect and explored each lock revelling in her freedom. After the sixth lock the Captain decided to moor and I realised I didn’t have Lottie’s lead. While he moored up I plodded back to the locks. After a while Lottie realised I was missing and chased after me. I must have been out of sight for she returned to the Captain’s call and waited watching for my return.
I checked the first lock – no lead. I went on to the second and searched around. A single hander descending one lock asked what I was looking for.
“My dog’s lead,” I replied sheepishly.
Paired Cheshire locks
“I threw it on my boat,” the old timer replied. I closed the gates for him as his boat exited and he threw the lead onto the bank. Thank goodness. It was a super extending lead that the Captain had bought the week before to replace a faulty one. I would have been toast if I had lost it. As the single hander’s boat was following me I opened the next lock gate for him then plodded back to the boat thirsty from the heat.
footbridge and locks
the Captain was repairing the rear step but Lottie greeted me as if I had been lost for hours.
The afternoon was sunny so after a good break we cruised on. Lottie was not so desperate to do all the locks and chose to lie on the back deck sunbathing for a couple of them something she has never chosen to do before.
We moored up in Rode Heath next to a meadow with walks across it. Lottie was gazing at it hopefully when the cat from the next boat hopped onto our rear deck and jumped inside the boat. Fortunately Lottie didn’t spot the intruder.
“Your cat’s on our boat,” the Captain called.
“She does that,” the owner admitted. “Chase her out - she won’t do it again.”
“I was worried our dog would hurt her,” the Captain said.
Cat on the dogs sofa
“She can look after herself,” the cat owner replied. The Captain found the cat curled up on the sofa and chased the cat out just as Lottie came in. Lottie sniffed the air frantically and seemed puzzled. That cat had a narrow escape. The cat then stretched out in the sun alongside our boat. Lottie barked at her to tell her that bit of towpath belonged to her now and the cat moved off.
They eyed each other from their own territories but there was no fight! After a super walk we had ice-creams - quite different from yesterday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment