Friday 9 August 2013

Rowing boats reign



The gate bridge over the lock
Large weir

the Power station- functional not beautiful
We set off at 7.30 to beat the heat and I worked the first lock. As soon as I inserted the key a booming voice came over the loudspeaker announcing WARNING STAY AWAY FROM THE LOCK CROSSINGS. It kept repeating this regularly to a solitary passing walker. As the lock divided the town it is used as a bridge by the locals so a warning system is needed to prevent someone stepping onto the walkway as it moved. Once we left the town the only blot on the landscape was the power station. Instead of warming up the morning grew cooler and we dug out our fleeces for the first time this trip. As soon as I took the helm I rounded a tight bend to find a rowing 4 stationary ready to start a timed run so I slowed up and headed for the shallows until they got under way. They soon picked up speed and shot round the next bend chased by their coach in a power boat. By the time I negotiated the next bend they were disappearing but other rowing boats appeared. I went wide round a rowing pair and the 4 reappeared storming towards me. I had to throw power on to get out of the way. Shortly afterwards I ran into shallow water avoiding another rowing boat. The beaches go out a long way on this river. I steered for deeper water as the boat dragged on the bottom with interesting clicking noises from the stones on the bottom. Rivers can be tricky but fun. We had a pleasant cruise up to Hazleford lock but there was no mooring left on the steps and the wall towered way above our roof so we locked up and carried on cruising. The small craft were
Speedy rowers
now canoes moving at a leisurely

Lottie
pace, much easier to pass. We reached Gunthorpe lock and a boat emerged but the lock doors closed again. The keeper hadn’t seen our tiny boat under the 20 foot high wall. Paul braved the ladder to inform the keeper we were there while I tried not to be swept away by the powerful current. At last the light went green and I locked up alone, controlling the boat on the centre rope. When the boat had risen Paul climbed down the 8 rungs back in the lock wall to rejoin me. We moored against the lowest wall which was level with the roof of the boat. Lottie was desperate for the loo and launched herself into the air and somehow managed to reach firm ground. To make her life safer Paul took the inside front step out and lined it up so Lottie could jump onto the roof then hop down onto the gas locker and bounce onto the step then onto the deck. Lottie soon got the idea but it could be dangerous in wet weather as the roof could be slippery.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment