Monday 1 August 2016

A late start

heading east from the Marina
our first lock
The next morning I had a lazy breakfast then set out for Flitwick Hill where the fete was going to be. I got lost. Somehow I missed my turn and ended up in Rugeley. It took some time to extract myself from the town but at last I found my way to the fete, only three miles from the marina. 


At the top of the Fradley flight
As rain was predicted; I gratefully accepted a share of a spare gazebo and set up my stall. I enjoyed the fete as both my bags and my painted slates found favour. It was a warm overcast day but as on the last three stalls the rain came. Thankfully this time it was light drizzle that didn’t dampen the locals.


leaving Lock 52
Meanwhile the Captain moved our boat to the service pontoon where he had a pump out and bought diesel and a new gas cylinder. Thankfully the boat carries two so when the gas runs out we just switch to the full one. Of course it is important to remember to change the empty cylinder or we could run out in the middle of nowhere.



Afterwards the Captain cleaned the roof and the port side of the boat.


By the time I arrived back from the fete the rest of the crew were ready for action after a relaxing day. We had a pleasant cruise to Woodend lock, arriving just as a boat began descending.
After helping them through we followed behind, with Lottie taking the Captain for a walk. 


Fradley Junction in sight
At Fradley top lock we had a short wait for a boat to come up but he left the last lock ready for us. Thankfully these locks were not too heavy, an easy start to our cruise. 


The Captain swung straight into the Coventry Canal leaving the crew (me and Lottie) to close up and go the long way round via the next lock to cross the canal.
As I opened the swing bridge I noticed a boat was tied to the bollards for the swing bridge which would hamper a single hander. 


the pub on the junction



At the end of the visitor moorings a boat was stuck with its bow to the bank. The skipper signalled for our boat to speed by hoping our bow wave would free the boat. It worked and they followed us to our mooring, a quiet stretch where only two boats were waiting.





the swing bridge
After a lovely evening cruise a few spots of rain fell as we moored up. If only the good weather lasts.
on The Coventry Canal

No comments:

Post a Comment