Tuesday 17 May 2016

Starting trouble

We woke to a lovely sunny morning - spring had returned. Sadly grey cloud covered the sun before we had been cruising long.
bright skies before the cloud came
At the first lock I found not only the far gate open, but both paddles had been left up. Thank goodness we are not following that boater up a big flight. The wind got up and it was so cold I was longing for the sun to burst through the clouds and warm me up. It was so chilly that after two hours the Captain moored up to warm up.
There were lots of lovely moorings all along the branch making it an even more attractive place to cruise. All we needed was warm dry weather!
When the Captain tried to start the engine again it was very reluctant and made a horrid noise.
“It is either the battery or the starter motor,” the Captain muttered.
A Cowslip - a rare sight these days
We pulled into Aqueduct marina and their engineer kindly checked the starter battery for us and pronounced it to be healthy. The Captain checked the oil filter and tightened it up. As we cruised on (enjoying slightly warmer weather and banks of lovely cowslips) he decided he should have bought oil while he was there.
All was peaceful until we reached the junction with the Shroppie. The Captain sounded his horn and edged out cautiously with me standing up front looking out for moving boats.
We slotted nicely after a hire boater passed even though he slowed, then moored up to take on water. Seconds later a short boat came around the corner. I looked back at a narrow boat that had been closing up on us rapidly and realised he wasn’t slowing down for the junction.
What else can I eat?
I watched as the boat behind us shot out of the junction. The short boat swung round to the left to avoid hitting it. Crash! The fast boat rammed straight into the metal piling opposite the junction. The Captain pulled up to use the chandlery leaving me watching the boats. Somehow the short boat wriggled round the rear of the fast one and chugged by us. He waved merrily as the Captain congratulated him on his nifty steering.
“He was never going to make the corner at that speed," the skipper of the short boat replied.
While the Captain went to get his oil Lottie ran to the overflowing bins and grabbed a plastic wrapper that had once contained beef to lick for the juices that remained. I tried to take it off her as she could swallow the plastic as she rips the thing to shreds. A merry dance followed. Every time I got close she grabbed her packet and ran to a new spot to rip it again.
Eventually she tired of the game and I took it back to the bin.
About to climb the first Hurston lock
A privateer tooted the hire boat as they pushed off, then cut in front of them to stop. Yes they collided. If he wanted to use the water why didn’t he come in behind them?
Eventually the Captain returned, having carefully chosen his oil. He was distressed that the boat was reluctant to start.
“It must be the solenoid,” he muttered as we headed for Hurston junction and the Llangollen canal.
At Hurlston Junction I set off to tackle the locks. After the Captain eased the boat into the lock he slumped against the tiller, clearly in pain. Naturally I wanted to carry on but he was far from happy.
“How bad do you feel?” I asked.
“I’m getting stiffer each day,” he admitted. “And I’m finding locking tough with this shoulder. Today I’ve had pins and needles in my hands.”
our lounge diner
In spite of that he was willing to head into Wales to please me.
“We’re a team,” I replied. “It’s no good carrying on if you feel ill.”
The Captain reversed out of the lock and spun the boat around to the surprise of a skipper waiting to follow us up. He turned back onto the Shroppie and moored just beyond the junction.
Once moored for the evening (and fortified with a cup of tea) the Captain had a much closer look at all the leads and connectors on the solenoid. One came loose in his hand. As the solenoid was partly hidden beneath the engine he had to feel for the place it had come loose from. Once he had reconnected it he tried the engine and it started perfectly first time.

“I’ve fixed the starting problem that’s been bugging me all week,” he called triumphantly. That’s the joy of boating!

No comments:

Post a Comment