Thursday 5 September 2013

Editing ping-pong

Editing a book is like jumping a clear round
When I sent my editor my final version of The Intrepid Pony Escapes having pruned 60 pages out I  thought he would put in some comma's, tweak the grammar and cut out some boring sentences. Far from it. He's asked for character descriptions and improved the text by moving parts of paragraphs around. He has asked questions about the plot where the action is unclear, and made helpful suggestions to clarify things. He was even worried that my protagonist was bullying one of the girls as it put her in a bad light. As bullying is key to the book I had to explain that she only realises she has been bullying when a friend is bullied and has to decide if she wants revenge that badly. I personally don't want my protagonist to be a goody-goody as there is good and bad, kind and selfishness in everyone.
The good news is I am halfway through reading the final edit and know the book has improved through the process. the bad news is I will have to go through this all again to read the new amendments to the document. Does it ever end? When will I get to the point where Tony and I agree no more can be done? I want to see this book in print, but I long for it to be the best version it could be. Maybe we will finish soon.
Editing a book is like jumping a clear round in a show jumping competition. You do what you think is a perfect round but then have do it all again in the jump off over higher fences. However long the process takes I'm glad the books being edited, as  the final product should be a work to be proud of.
Thanks Tony, keep on editing!

No comments:

Post a Comment